Thursday, October 11, 2012

Pink Prayers Are Needed

I've always found it easier to express my feelings by writing my thoughts down, into words; rather than speaking them. So today I'm going to share with you something personal, that has been going on in my life.

About three weeks ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. She went to the doctor for a mammogram, because she felt a lump in her right breast. A week later, the doctor conducted a biopsy and the test result came back as cancer. After blood work and a PET Scan, we finally got to sit down with the surgeon and oncologist yesterday. They went over what they found, how serious it is, and what the plans are for treatment.

My mom will be getting a port placed under her skin, near her chest somewhere. This will be for easy access to place an IV for Chemotherapy treatments; which will begin in about ten days. The doctors decided to start Chemotherapy now, in order to shrink the cancer cells and leave no remnants of cancer behind after they remove her breast. The Chemo treatments will be for six months; in which she'll be going every three weeks for three hours each time. After the treatments, they'll then remove the breast.

Sitting in the meeting room talking to the doctors was a little overwhelming; a lot to take in all at once and shocking. As I write this, it's still, just does not seem real to me. I NEVER thought this would ever happen to my mom. When I was eight years old, she had ovarian cancer. But all that entailed, was her getting a hysterectomy and then recovery time. It was not a long process and it wasn't filled with additional treatments. No one told my mom, then, that because of her having ovarian cancer, she would be more likely to get breast cancer. This is something I just learned yesterday.

Now I'm looking into support groups that my mom can be apart of, hats and wigs; because her hair will start to fall out by the second Chemo treatment, prosthesis, and cancer books; and it still just seems  so unreal. I'm not worried, because I have faith in God to get me and my mom through this. I also have faith in Him to get this nasty stuff called cancer, out and away from my mom. I don't know what else to do, but continue to pray, like I always do, stay positive, courageous, and trust God that my mom is going to get through this and she'll become a survivor and stay that way.

For those of you that know the power of what praying can and will do: please keep my mom in your prayers. Pray for the both of us; for strength, courage through it all, and healing. 

Let me know if you're going through something similar, or have already. If you know of any helpful resources, or what you do for awareness and pink. I'll keep you updated and as I'm trying to get more involved with Twitter, I'll keep updates there as well! Thanks for the prayers; I pray that God blesses you in return!

4 comments:

  1. Ashlie, I will continue praying for you and your mother. Call me for any reason. I want to be part of this you both of you. I understan that you are both going thru alot right now. I feel that the best way to help is to keep you both in my prayers like always and listen to you both when you need to talk. I am here for you both. GOD is with you both and will never part. Keep up your great faith because that is what has kept you two going all these years. Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't really feel like I ever get to hear what's truly in your heart; but what you said above sounds like they came from straight from your heart. Thank you for the words, support, prayers, and for taking the time to always read my blog!! - much love, Ashlie

      Delete
  2. Ashlie, I am so sorry to hear that your mom has been diagnosed with breast cancer. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    Tracy @ Sunny Days and Starry Nights

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy!It will mean a LOT!!

      Delete

Leave a Lovely Note here: